Motorhome insurance

Call our specialist motorhome insurance team on 0330 024 0124.

As an independent and specialist broker, we can expertly compare motorhome insurance quotes for you.*

Our panel of leading UK insurers offers a choice of motorhome cover for driving both at home and abroad. This can include up to 270 days of European touring ‘Green card’ protection.

Through them we can arrange insurance for standard, self-build and converted motorhomes, including older and classic models. Our team will also be pleased to offer campervan insurance quotes and cover for American RVs.

We may also able to offer discounts on your motorhome insurance quote if you are a member of The Caravan Club or a recognised owners’ club. It may also be possible to reduce your premium if you have passed an advanced driving qualification.**

Our advisors can arrange policies which feature a range of benefits. These include insurance for motorhome accessories and spare parts such as awnings, generators and satellite TV systems.

  • Insurance for motorhomes, campervans, micro-campervans and American RVs.
  • Conversions and self-build campervan insurance** – including cover for motorhomes under construction.
  • Agreed value for classic and historic vehicles.
  • Fixtures, fittings and accessories – awnings, generators, satellite TV systems, personal effects.
  • New for old motorhome insurance ***
  • Multi-vehicle insurance – save when you cover any combination of motorhome, campervan, car, can or motorcycle.
  • Gas explosion and fire (when supply fitted in accordance with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations).

Our motorhome insurance specialists are on hand not just to find you the right policy at the right price. They’ll also be on hand to offer support should you need to make a claim, add a vehicle or amend your motorhome insurance cover.

Got a question?

Check out our guide below and see our Motorhome Insurance FAQs page

Motorhome off the road? Click here for details of specialist SORN motorhome insurance.

Additional cover options – Pick and choose your cover options to get the exact level of protection that you want, with an extensive range to protect you and your vehicle. Options include Breakdown & Accident Assistance, Motor Legal Protection, Excess Protection, Key Care and Road Halo licence defence.


* Please ask for details of the panel of insurers we use to compare motorhome insurance quotes. ** Converted and self-build campervan insurance available when vehicle registered with the DVLA as a motorhome. *** New motorhome replacement for vehicles within 12 months of registration when a total loss or stolen and not recovered. 

Underwriting limits, conditions, discounts and exclusions vary between motorhome insurers on our panel.

Motorhome Insurance Quotes: A Guide To Getting The Right Deal

There are a few things you should consider when you compare motorhome insurance quotes.

For a start, different insurers treat different vehicle types – you guessed it – differently!

Motorhome insuranceFor example, some insurers differentiate between motorhomes and American RVs (recreational vehicles). Some will cover van conversions, others only factory-built campervans. This is why it can be helpful to use the services of a specialist broker with access to a range of policies offered though a panel of insurers.

Where you keep your vehicle, how you secure it, how you use it and who’s going to drive it can all have a bearing on motorhome insurance cost.

So let’s take a look at what’s what and the things you might want to think about when searching for the best motorhome or campervan insurance quote.

Which vehicle types are covered by motorhome insurance?

There are two main categories, motorhome and campervan.

In broad brush strokes, a motorhome will have a living compartment which is separate to the driving cab. Motorhomes are also usually built upon a bus or truck chassis.

In contrast, with campervans, the cab and the living quarters are all one unit.

But there are further distinctions which could be important in the search for your best motorhome insurance quote.

Coachbuilt motorhomes – generously sized, well-specified and typically features an overcab sleeping area.
Low-profile coachbuilt motorhomes – without overcab sleeping quarters these tend not be as tall as standard coachbuilt motorhomes.
Micro motorhomes – as the name suggests these are compact motorhomes, typically based around a small van or MPV chassis.
A class motorhomes – Generously spaced, highly specified touring vehicles with integrated bodywork.
American RVs – RV for recreational vehicle, American for the styling and name. Pretty much the gold standard in terms of size and specs. These can be big beasts and require a category C large vehicle driving licence.
Standard campervans – Self-contained, compact and easy to drive, standard campervans come with factory-fitted fixtures.
Campervan conversions – Vehicles which have been converted professionally or through a self or DIY build. These will need to be registered as a motorhome with the DVLA to qualify for campervan insurance. Some insurers only provide policies for factory-built standard campervans. However, Principal is able to arrange insurance for van conversions.
Historic and classic campervans and motorhomes – Whilst insurers’ definitions vary, vehicles aged 15 years or more may qualify for classic or historic vehicle insurance. Premiums tend to be lower and policies often include specific benefits such as agreed value and salvage retention rights.

The licence you need to drive a motorhome will depend upon the type of vehicle and, if you plan to tow, your age. For more details see the DVLA guide published here.

Motorhome cover options

camper van insuranceThird Party Only van insurance (TPO)
TPO insurance will not cover the cost of repairing or replacing your motorhome or campervan following an accident.

It will cover only any third parties and other vehicles that were involved. TPO insurance will also not cover damage to or loss of your motorhome should it be stolen or involved in a fire.

Third Party Fire & Theft van insurance
As the name suggests, TPFT insurance offers third party cover plus protection to cover repairing or replacing your van if it is stolen or fire damaged.

Comprehensive van insurance
Comprehensive insurance will cover the cost of repairing or replacing your motorhome or campervan and those of third parties if you have a fault accident (one for which you are to blame). In addition comprehensive motorhome insurance will cover your van if it is damaged in accident caused by a third party whom you cannot identify. One such scenario might be if it is damaged whilst parked and the third party leaves without giving their details.

What is the best motorhome insurance?

Motorhome insuranceThere is no simple answer to this question.

There are a number of different motorhome and campervan insurance policies on the market. Which is best for you will depend upon various factors.

These will include the level of cover you are looking for as well as how you plan to use and store your vehicle.

Foreign use
For example, if you’ve really been bitten by the travel bug, be careful to check for any limits on your cover. These can vary considerably from 30 up to 365 days on an annual policy.

Also check territorial limits so that you’re certain the country or countries you intend to visit are covered.

The European ‘Green Card’ will only ensure that you satisfy the minimum legal requirements of the 48 nations signed up to the scheme (you can see a full list of participating countries here). This can mean you’re not covered for fire or theft under the scheme. The Green Card is usually valid for up to 30 days.

Currently if you are travelling within the EU you are not required to possess a physical Green Card – just to ensure that your insurer has provided you with cover. If there is a “No Deal” Brexit this will change and you will need apply for a Green Card – whilst not printed on card this is a green paper document issued by insurers.

You can read more here about how to apply for a Green Card through Principal – for free – and the likely impact of a No Deal Brexit on the scheme.

Regardless of Brexit, it is important to recognise that 14 of the nations currently in the Green Card scheme require you to present your physical document at the border. If you can’t they will charge an insurance fee (for “frontier insurance”) – so check before you travel.

Obvious, but watch out for local laws too. In Turkey, if you’re towing, the legal alcohol limit is precisely zero. Breaching the law can invalidate your insurance.

Motorhome contents insurance
Keep an eye out too for limits and exclusions on contents cover – . You may need take out optional additional insurance to cover any non-fixed pieces of kit such as satellite TVs, generators, awnings and navigation equipment.

You should also check if your home insurance provides any contents cover and the limits which apply. It’s also important to remember that if you are planning to go away for 31 days or more, this could invalidate your home insurance itself. Check your policy, but if you are still unsure speak with your broker or insurer.

New-for-old motorhome insurance
Many policies offer new-for-old cover. This means you will receive the agreed market value if your motorhome is written off or stolen and not recovered. However, age limits will apply, with new-for-old typically limited to vehicles up to 12 months old.

Gas and explosion cover
This may be included within or offered as an optional extra with your motorhome policy. If you’re going to be carrying gas cylinders, it’s definitely worth checking out. Gas fittings will need satisfy the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations.

Trailer cover
Trailers may not be covered as standard. The same is true of any bikes you carry on a rack. Check you’re covered before you buy.

Motorhome breakdown cover
Again this may be offered as an optional extra and cover may vary. Check that a policy includes cover for motorhomes and caravans and, therefore, has the capability to tow your vehicle should it not be possible to repair by the roadside.

Vandalism cover
Deliberate damage can be costly to fix. Enough said.

Named drivers
The nature of the beast means you can put in some miles touring with your motorhome. You might, then, want to share driving responsibilities in which case you should arrange for a travelling partner to be a named driver on your policy.

You might also want to consider adding emergency any named driver cover in case you are incapacitated and unable to drive your motorhome.

How can I get a cheaper motorhome insurance quote?

There are certain things you can do to cut the cost of your motorhome or campervan insurance.

Limited mileage
Insurers often offer low mileage discounts. It’s important to be realistic and honest about the miles you intend to put on.

Motorhome security
Fitting additional, insurance-approved security can win favours. Here we’re talking about things like after-market alarms, immobilisers and trackers.

Insurers are not fond of on-street parking, for obvious reasons. If you can garage or store your motorhome in a secure facility this could reduce your quote.

Reversing cameras and sensors
Some insurers acknowledge with a discount the bumps, scrapes and accidents that reversing cameras and sensors can help prevent.

Owners club discounts
Membership of a recognised owners club can earn you a discount. Simple as that.

Voluntary excess
Some insurers will reduce your motorhome or campervan insurance quote in return for you agreeing to pay a higher excess. The excess is the sum you will pay towards the cost of settling any claim you make on your policy.

Drive a classic campervan
If you own an historic or classic campervan then it’s likely you’ll pay less than for modern motorhome insurance. Definitions of what is a classic or historic vehicle vary between insurers.

Compare motorhome insurance
To get the right cover at the right price, it’s important to compare motorhome insurance quotes, ensuring like-for-like comparisons when it comes down to the £££s.

A specialist broker – like Principal – which is authorised to offer advice by the Financial Conduct Authority can help. Market knowledge and access to specialist policies allows them to compare quotes offered by insurers on a selected panel on your behalf.

  • Up to 10% owners club membership discounts.
  • Save with limited mileage policies.
  • Optional wedding hire and rally cover – please ask for details.
  • Free agreed value assessment.
  • Salvage retention rights (subject to underwriting criteria).
  • Minimum 30 days European cover as standard.

FOR A GREAT QUOTE call 0330 024 0124

For the best quote chat to our friendly and informed UK-based call centre team

the principal call centre team - AT YOUR SERVICE
  • An independent broker, we source the best quotes from the UK’s leading specialist insurers.
  • With no call length targets, our experts take the time to find you the best deal.
  • We’re here to help – with dedicated claims and customer service support.
  • Our freephone quotes hotline open weekdays 8.30am-6.30pm and Saturdays 9am-1pm.

Learn more:

Contact – Quotes

Contact Quotes

From van insurance quotes to home insurance quotes, bike insurance quotes  and business insurance quotes, you can always count on Principal Insurance for quotes.

 Bike Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0087

Car Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0093

Van Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0097

Multi-Vehicle Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0093

Specialist Vehicle Insurance:

0330 024 0137

House Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0124

Motor Trade Insurance Quotes:

0330 024 0136

Commercial Insurance Quotes: 0330 024 0135

Alternatively contact quotes by emailing us here stating which type of insurance quote you are looking for and providing a telephone number on which we can call you back.

Contact – Customer Service

Contact Customer Service

To contact Customer Service team please quote your policy reference when calling:

Motorcycle, Car, Home, Specialist Vehicle & Van: 0330 024 0098

Motor Trade: 0330 024 0136

Alternatively you can email your enquiry by clicking here. Please don’t forget to include your policy reference when contacting Customer Service.

Contact – Claims

Contact Claims

If you need to claim on your policy please contact claims on the relevant number or  email us. To help us serve you more quickly please quote your policy reference when calling or emailing our claims department.

  • For motorcycle, car and van insurance claims: 0330 024 1376 or email by clicking here and including your policy reference.
  • For motor trade insurance claims: 0330 024 0136.

For more details please see the Make A Claim page.


Contact – Renewals

Contact Renewals

To contact Renewals please call 0808 178 7923 or email us by clicking here. To help us serve you more quickly, please quote your policy reference to hand when calling renewals or emailing renewals.

Classic Motorcycles with Ducati

Classic Motorcycles– Ducati

From old choppers for sale, to vintage motorcycles, have a look at Ducati. The first engine, the two-stroke Cuccioli, emerged from the Ducati brothers workshop in 1946 with the first fully fledged Ducati motorcycle launched by 1950.