Impound Insurance

Call our specialist team on 0330 053 6844 for more details or a quote.

If your vehicle has been seized, you must provide evidence that it is insured before it will be released. Impound insurance, also known as seized car insurance, can help reunite you. 

It is reported that hundreds of thousands of vehicles are clamped or impounded in the UK every year. If yours is among them you’ll know it’s more than just an inconvenience. It’s costly.

Even if you have insurance in place when your vehicle is seized, it may not cover you for its release from an impound. Most insurers will also not then provide you with the cover you need by law for the authorities to return your vehicle to you.

What’s more, you have just seven days to reclaim your vehicle from the pound. Fail to do that within 14 days and your vehicle will either be sold or destroyed.

This is when impound insurance can come to your rescue.

Benefits the specially designed impound insurance we offer include:

  • Swiftly arranged temporary insurance for cars and vans
  • Cover for seizures under Section 165a of the Road Traffic Act
  • Social, Domestic & Pleasure (SDP) use
  • Commuting
  • Carriage of own goods
  • Car sharing covered
  • Includes medical expenses cover (£100 per passenger, maximum four)
  • Third party only impound insurance – it’s all you need to get your vehicle released

Impound insurance cover is available to drivers aged 21-68 years, subject to meeting underwriting conditions. Certain occupations excluded – please ask for details. This policy is underwritten by Granite Underwriting. 


Impound insuranceWhy might your car or van be impounded?

There are a number of reasons why so many cars and vans are impounded every year. These include:

  • The vehicle is on a public road without valid road tax.
  • Under section 165a of the Road Traffic Act where:

– The vehicle is on a public road without valid car insurance or van insurance.

– The driver does not hold the appropriate driving licence.

  • The vehicle is on a public road without valid vehicle tax (road tax).
  • The vehicle is on private land but has not been declared SORN (via a Statutory Off Road Notification).
  • The vehicle is illegally parked on the public highway or private land.
  • The vehicle is causing an obstruction or danger.
  • The vehicle is being driven in an anti-social manner (careless and inconsiderate driving, off-road driving without lawful authority, causing, or likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public).
  • The vehicle was used in the committing of a crime.

Who can seize or clamp your vehicle?

A number of organisations have the authority to seize or clamp vehicles. These include:

How do I get my impounded vehicle released?

You should always check with the pound where you car is being stored, but usually you will be required to:

  • Show proof that you have car insurance to cover you for at least 30 days from the vehicle’s release date.
  • Present a valid driving licence.
  • Show proof that you are the legal owner of the vehicle.
  • Present a valid MOT certificate or provide evidence of a pre-booked MOT test.
  • Pay a release fee and any storage charges due.


FOR A GREAT QUOTE call 0330 053 6844

For the best quote chat to our friendly and informed UK-based call centre team

Learn more: