Advice on the documents you may need to travel in the EU after Brexit (date to be confirmed)..

Should the UK leave the EU without a Withdrawal Agreement then the rules on driving or riding in the European Economic Area (EEA) could change.

The EEA comprises EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Rule changes will also impact those driving in Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland


In the case of a “No Deal” exit, unless alternative arrangements are agreed between the UK and EU, then you will be required to carry a ‘Green Card’ whilst travelling in or on your vehicle within the EU.

This is an international certificate of insurance issued by your insurer. It is a physical document that will need to be posted to you.

Holding a Green Card will mean you will have Third Party motor insurance valid in EU and EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

How can you get a Green Card?

We will be pleased to secure you a Green Card from your insurer. As different insurers will have different policies and procedures, this should make things easier for you.

There is no charge for this service – it is free to you.

1. Emailing us by clicking here. Please make sure you include your full name (as it appears on your insurance documents) and policy number/broker reference. Please also include a number we can contact you on to confirm cover.
2. Calling us:
 If you are a motorcycle, multi-vehicle, van or specialist vehicle policyholder, please call 0330 024 1730.
 If you are a car policyholder please call 0330 053 9581.


You can read the Association of British Insurers’ guidance on Travelling to the EU in the case of a No-Deal Brexit here.



The rules regarding International Driving Permits (IDPs) are quite complicated – and they could change before Brexit.

However, if the UK Government reaches an exit deal with the EU, then you will still be able to use your UK driving licence to drive or ride in EU and EEA countries.

If there is no EU exit deal, then the rules will change. The UK government has said that in the event of a “No Deal” Brexit, it will seek an agreement with the EU so that UK drivers can continue to use their UK driving licence when travelling in EU and EEA countries.

But until such an agreement can be reached, UK drivers will need get one or more IDPs to drive in EU and EEA countries. The reason why you may need more than one IDP is that there are three types (1926, 1949 and 1968) and the rules vary between country.

For example, if you are planning to drive across France and Spain, in addition to taking your UK driving licence you will need both 1949 and 1968 IDPs.

For official UK Government information on the different types of IDP and where they are valid, click here.

How to get an International Driving Permit

Driving EU Brexit

You can only get International Driving Permits over the counter at the Post Office.

You will need to take a photo-id driving licence and a passport-sized photo with you. If you have an old-style paper driving licence, then you will need to take your passport as proof of identification.

Each IDP costs £5.50.


You can read official UK Government guidance and information on International Driving Permits here.


Learn more: